Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Disappointment with God by P.Yancey


For this month's book review, Philip Yancey tackles three questions no one asks aloud: Is God unfair? Is God silent? Is God hidden? He uses the book of Job in first part of book that sets out to prove the faithfulness and love of God. "Job gained a faith that can never be shaken because it came out of having been shaken."
Using a friend named "Douglas" (a modern day Job), Mr. Yancey asked him, "What have you learned that might help someone else going through a difficult time?" "I learned first...not to confuse God with life. We tend to think life should be fair because God is fair. But God is not life. And if I confuse God with the physical reality of life ---by expecting constant good health, for example---then I set myself up for a crushing disappointment."
"Faith means believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse."
"God is like a person who clears his throat while hiding and so gives himself away." (By Meister Eckhardt)
I love the next to last chapter entitled, "Why Job Died Happy".
Another great quote: "I had far rather walk, as I do, in daily terror of eternity, than feel that this was only a children's game in which all the contestants would get equally worthless prizes at the end. (By T.S. Eliot)
Another great book that challenges and convicts! Ok, the York Peppermint Patty has nothing to do with the book, but was just a reminder of the lesson learned about the power of chocolate and mint ..... I mean the power of prayer and God's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment